"Carillon" stops in organs

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Sun Apr 17 20:49:48 BST 2005

At 10:14 +0100 2005/04/17, Shaun Brown wrote (under the subject "G&J
carillon (Regal/Odeon, Marble Arch)"):
>It most certainly isn't the only instrument to contain a carilon...
>
>>>From memory, Blackpool Tower, and the Royal Albert Hall both have them.
>
>Here is the exhaustive list.
>
>NPOR search V5.28 on Sunday, April 17, 2005
>(c) The British Institute of Organ Studies 2004
>
>94 surveys found which include this stop and builder
...<snip>...

It's a safe bet that the vast majority of these contain NO cast bells
of the sort normally hung in towers. (I'd be surprised if ANY do,
other than the previously-mentioned Regal/Odeon Theatre.) Organ
stops named "carillon", like those named "chimes", are almost always
composed of tubular bells. Similarly, it's a safe bet that none of
the 9350 NOPR-listed organs which contain(ed) a "flute" stop actually
contain(ed) a flute of the type normally played by a person in a band
or orchestra. Most of the stops in any organ are imitative of other
instruments to some degree. The principal exceptions are the
diapason family of stops and the various oddities incorporated into
theatre organs.

Carl
(nephew of the late Charles W. McManis, American organbuilder)