[Bell Historians] Re: Bells in organs (Carillon stop)

Richard Offen richard at ...
Tue Apr 19 11:12:52 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "LOVE, Dickon"
<dickon.love at a...> wrote:
> RCO:
> "I would have said that it was perfectly possible for the carillon
> have been sold for scrap - I can think of lots of bells that were
> scrapped in the 1960s that simply shouldn't have been!"
>
> It does seem strange to me that in storing the organ, some of it is
> scrapped. Did they also scrap one or more of the ranks of pipes?
And if it
> was stored because it was historical, it is even more astonishing
that they
> would scrap the very thing that made the organ unique!
>
> I have got the tuning details of the old and new carillon for the,
yet to be
> published, CBofW.
>
> DrL

If my memory serves me right, the carillon was taken out well before
the organ. It was in a separate swell chamber, so could be easily
dismantled without disturbing the rest of the organ.