[Bell Historians] Re: Bells in organs (Carillon stop)

Dickon Love dickon.love at ...
Tue Apr 19 11:48:50 BST 2005

RCO:
> If my memory serves me right, the carillon was taken out well before
> the organ. It was in a separate swell chamber, so could be easily
> dismantled without disturbing the rest of the organ.

See http://www.atos.org/Pages/Journal/RegalLondon/OdeonLondon.html
(The American Theatre Organ Society) for an article by David H. Hayes
in the Summer 1963 issue of Theatre Organ. In it he says the organ was
dismantled and stored in 1964 and remains in storage (2002) under poor
conditions. However it also says:

"The original plan was to have the carillon in the roof, presumably not
playable from the console, but eventually the bells were hung inside
from the main girders of the building. This worked until 1947 when it
was decided (of all criminal things) to amplify the organ from that
grille opening. The swell shutters were used for mounting the
loudspeakers, and a few bells were unhung. The carillon remains in
place, however."

Together, this all suggests that (a) the carillon may have been split
up in 1947 and (b) that some of the bells remained in the roof after
the organ had been dismantled.

Could it be possible that some of the bells are still there (admittedly
pretty unlikely)?

DrL