[Bell Historians] Steel bell dimensions versus bell metal

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at ...
Tue Apr 19 22:45:53 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "George Dawson" <George at d...>
wrote:

> I have the diameters & weights on my website & the source was RW
1966, p366. What I do NOT have is the bell numbers, & would
appreciate someone getting them for me, if the inevitable rust has
not ruined them, take a wire brush.

> George

Raymond Clayton (who rings at Hoghton, nr Preston) today confirmed
that the bells at Belmont are that corroded they do have holes in
them, and that we did not manage to record anything off them due to
severe corrosion.
I mentioned to him the chiming machine that was supplied when the
bells are installed and He, like I can not really remember any
evidence of one ever existing, although he recalls some of the timber
in the clock room has been replaced.
So when the chiming machine was disposed of is up for debate.
I wonder if the Angelus machine is still in existance at Thurnham,
Lancs, or if the electric chiming system is still at Kirkham Willows.
I have not rung at either for years and years, and Kirkham Willows
have been rehung in a new frame since then.
I wonder who the chiming machine at Belmont was by and if one was
supplied with the chime of six steel bells installed at Trinity
Church, Glasgow?
Another point is did Vickers ever supply sets of ten or more bells?

Alan