Bells on ebay

Ben Willetts ben at ...
Wed Apr 27 14:15:34 BST 2005

I asked:
>> does the Central Council hold a register of bells which
>> have been reported stolen, and if not, why not?

David Bryant:
> Because it's nothing to do with them?

I am, quite frankly, very surprised at that response.

The CC currently has, amongst others, committees for "Bell Restoration",
"Redundant Bells", "Rescue Fund for Redundant Bells" and "Towers &
Belfries", and you don't think "Stolen Bells" is appropriate?

If, as you say, the CC should not get involved with "small swing-chiming
bells", then who should? The individual churches?

>From the lack of replies from any of the 188 list subscribers about this, I
infer that nobody knows of a national register of stolen bells, and
therefore that there probably isn't one, and all efforts with regard to
stolen bells are left to the local church and police, and maybe a few
ringers "keeping an eye out".

Surely any effort to maintain a list by a country-wide (globe-wide, in fact)
representative body is better than none at all?

Ben