[Bell Historians] welding bells

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at ...
Tue Aug 30 08:30:07 BST 2005

> And the present Great Dunstan has itself been welded once by Soundweld. I
> believe that it is now cracked again but it has been decided not to weld it
> this time.

18th (and very early 19th) century Whitechapel bells have a very great
propensity for cracking. It has always surprised me that there is a Lester
& Pack eight intact and un-cracked at Isleworth - but perhaps it isn't? -
suggesting that peal-ringing is good for bells.

C D