[Bell Historians] Peterborough Cathedral

David Bryant davidbryant at ...
Fri Dec 30 20:27:27 GMT 2005

> Were these bells weighed when they were removed from the tower, so that we
> can complete the details of the old heavy five?

I've certainly seen weights for the tenor (still at Peterborough) and the
4th (now 10/10 at WIthycombe Raleigh) as removed - 29 something and 19
something, I think - don't have the details to hand. I have a feeling that
the front three were sold with their headstocks still on, so probably
weren't weighed.

> Also, I don't think we ever had an answer to David's question on
> Peterborough St John, i.e. the tenor weighed 26-2-22 after the Gillett
> restoration, and are now given as 25-2-22 in Dove - spookily exactly a
> hundredweight lighter than the former weight. Did anyone have the updated
> details?

Yes, George supplied the following details from the G&J Records in an
off-list email:

6.3.5
7.0.4
9.0.21
9.3.23
12.0.13
12.2.10
18.2.2
25.2.22

The 7th has since been recast by Taylor's in 1930 (or 1931!)- present bell
weight 22-2-12