[Bell Historians] Mallaby

david johnson david.johnson05 at n...
Thu Feb 3 23:25:18 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The tower had a belfry level added to put the bells in. They are in the str=
engthened Mallaby frame of 1873, with a two S Smith bells by Smith I & II=
=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Bryant=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Mallaby

I don't know if this is relevant. No date available on source.

Extract from Sermon preached by Revd W C Lukis at the rededication of Wes=
t=20
Tanfield bells,

"..Mr Mallaby, who had so admirably performed the work". "Ringers should =
be=20
on ground floor, unfortunately the bequest by the late rector had the=20
condition that ringers should be upstairs with outside access."

Lukis's notebook gives three bells, all by S S Ebor, 1695, 1724, 1685.

The present ring are a mixture of Smith and Warner bells. They were rehun=
g by Whitechapel in about 1980, probably in the old frame although I haven'=
t been up to the bells to confirm this. The ringing chamber is till upstair=
s with outside access - just as well; given the height of the bells from th=
e ground, they wouldn't be easy if rung from the ground floor
=20=20=20
West Tanfield is of course prime Mallaby territory - it is only a few mil=
es from Masham.
=20=20=20
David

=20=20=20
Yahoo! Groups Links

=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20