Emscote

CHRIS PICKFORD c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Sat Feb 5 02:47:47 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The bells were a ring of six of 1876 (Taylor) with a tenor of 16-1-18, augm=
ented to eight in 1885. They were originally hung in a two-tier wooden fram=
e with bells 1-4 on top and the tenors below. The augmentation in 1885 nece=
ssitated some rearrangement, and the eight ended up in a three-tier frame. =
Taylors added two pits of cast iron "high A" frames with wooden tops and si=
lls for the bells in the top tier. They were 1 and 4 on top, 2, 3, 5 and 6 =
in the middle, and 7 and 8 in the bottom.

The bells were removed in January 1967. Looking at the picture, I think tha=
t the frame must have been left in situ to tumble with the rest of the towe=
r and spire when they finally fell. All Saints was a remarkably fine churc=
h with lavish Victorian fittings. Had it survived another twenty years, it =
might have stood a better chance of being kept.=20

I never saw it - though I faintly remember watching television coverage of =
the demolition - although by the time it came down I had started collecting=
details of Warwickshire bells for (ahem!) eventual publication

CP