[Bell Historians] sliders

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at y...
Tue Feb 8 11:45:50 GMT 2005

Sounds like a "jockey" slider to me. Another Taylor example I can think of is Freshwater on the Isle of Wight (1895), where the front four have jockey sliders, and the tenors have Hastings slides. They are also used at Merthyr Tydfil (hung early 1896, I think). Gillett & Johnston also used them; I have seen an example at Caldicot, Monmouthshire, of 1913. Basically, they consist of a metal block running on a curved metal track between two stops; the stay is conventional, but has to be of exactly the right length! Merthyr were out of action for about 20 years because a visiting band overpulled the third, and the poorly fitting stay rode up over the jockey, pushing the bell out of its plain bearings and damaging the wheel.
On the subject of G & J slides, I was looking at an RW article on Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight, (1921), where from the photograph of the bells in the foundry, they appear to have a form of Hastings stays. Anyone seen these?

Andrew Bull

David Bryant <davidbryant at h...> wrote:

I was reading a report on a (sadly no longer) Taylor six of 1894. This was a
'modern' installation in that it had a cast iron lowside frame, cast iron
headstocks, etc. However, they stays were of normal type and the sliders
described as being 'metal blocks'. Preumably this means a metal block
sliding on a track. I've not seen these - can anyone describe them in detail
and provide any other example - presumably they were only used for a short
time before Hastings stays became the norm.

David

Yahoo! Groups Links