Ring of 5

George Dawson George at d...
Tue Feb 15 09:26:26 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

Looks like Wrenbury, Cheshire which were, according to JT Records:
1. 1610
2. 1621
3. 1666
4. 1666
5. 1861 J Warner
6. 1861 J Warner
1-3 were recast by JT 1902
So the bells as listed below are out of order.

GAD

The set of five is more interesting - and I don't know the answer. These =
inscriptions are recorded in a note in the Tyssen papers (Society of Antiqu=
aries Library) "from a tracing received by J. Warner from T Cawley of Nantw=
ich, Jan 23 1860". This version gives some extra details

1 IN(mark)EXCELS+S(mark)DEO (mark)1666 GLORIA
2 GEORGE WRIGHT(mark)ROBERT BANCKES CHYRCH WARDENS 1666
3 DEO 1621 GLORIA IN EXCLSVS
4 IOHN CHESWYS IOHN CARTWRIGHT CHVRCH WARDENS 1610
5 +N V+TA 1621 WC(mark)DEVS EST V+A VERITAS (mark) ET

Note the use of + for I on the treble and tenor. The tenor, at least, was=
by William Clibury of Wellington - suggesting, along with the Nantwich add=
ress of the informant, that these bells are or were somewhere near the junc=
tion of the counties of Cheshire, Staffordshire and Shropshire. The diamete=
rs were 29.5, 31.5, 34.5, 37.5 and 41 - and the other dimensions (soundbow =
thicknesses, heights, shoulder circumferences) are recorded in Cawley's not=
e. Doe this help anyone to identify them?