[Bell Historians] Anthony Bond

CHRIS PICKFORD c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Tue Feb 15 05:03:53 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The Anthony Bond bell at Lincoln's Inn (28" diameter) is mentioned in the W=
alters "London" manuscript, but I suspect that it may no longer be there. T=
he Croydon foundry records mention a new clock bell (30" 5-3-6) cast in Aug=
ust 1884, and recast by G&J in 1948 (28.5" 4-3-8 in D). Can't be sure that =
all this relates to the same bell, but I pass this on for what it's worth.

The set of five is more interesting - and I don't know the answer. These in=
scriptions are recorded in a note in the Tyssen papers (Society of Antiquar=
ies Library) "from a tracing received by J. Warner from T Cawley of Nantwic=
h, Jan 23 1860". This version gives some extra details

1 IN(mark)EXCELS+S(mark)DEO (mark)1666 GLORIA
2 GEORGE WRIGHT(mark)ROBERT BANCKES CHYRCH WARDENS 1666
3 DEO 1621 GLORIA IN EXCLSVS
4 IOHN CHESWYS IOHN CARTWRIGHT CHVRCH WARDENS 1610
5 +N V+TA 1621 WC(mark)DEVS EST V+A VERITAS (mark) ET

Note the use of + for I on the treble and tenor. The tenor, at least, was b=
y William Clibury of Wellington - suggesting, along with the Nantwich addre=
ss of the informant, that these bells are or were somewhere near the juncti=
on of the counties of Cheshire, Staffordshire and Shropshire. The diameters=
were 29.5, 31.5, 34.5, 37.5 and 41 - and the other dimensions (soundbow th=
icknesses, heights, shoulder circumferences) are recorded in Cawley's note.=
Doe this help anyone to identify them?

CP