[Bell Historians] St Barnabas Pimlico

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Thu Feb 17 11:02:55 GMT 2005

charset="windows-1250"

As far as I know, the last time they were rung was on June 11th 1975. We ha=
d hoped to do a similar performance on June 11th 1976 (St Barnabas Day) - i=
t had been the sole ringing day for a few years; previously I was informed =
that they had been silent altogether from 1919 until RHD's visit[s] in the =
60's. However they weren't rung due to previous complaints about noise leve=
ls.

When I was a student, living in Vincent Square, I used to visit this marvel=
lous church with its rich, traditional liturgy and the bells were then usua=
lly chimed. The very spacious ringing room was clean at the time, and the b=
ell chamber likewise, with everything there. The frame and fittings all of =
1849 except for new G&B of about 100 years ago. They sounded quite fair, an=
d went reasonably well if somewhat odd-struck.=20

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: alantaylor1=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:56 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] St Barnabas Pimlico

I have good news. The bells of St Barnabas Pimlico are being heard again.=
At the moment they are being chimed only. As the steeple is currently unsa=
fe. However, the work on the steeple should be carried out this year. The t=
ower will then be dug out. Then the wheels will be repaired and the bells l=
ifted so as the bearing can be cleaned out. The new Priest in Charge plus t=
he congregation are delighted to hear their bells again.

=20=20=20

If any list member has ever rung at St Barnabas I would like to hear from=
you.

=20=20=20

Cheers,

=20=20=20

Alan

=20=20=20

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20