[Bell Historians] Bixley, Norfolk

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Fri Feb 18 18:34:54 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The Annual Report of the Norfolk Churches Trust has a two-page spread on th=
e fire. Ir also gives the rebuilding date as 1868. The tower is given by Ca=
ttermole & Cotton in Norf. Arch. XXXVIIIiii 1983 p.239 as c.1530. The Repor=
t too quotes the G. MEARS FOUNDER LONDON 1858 inscription, with also I TO T=
HE CHURCH THE LIVING CALL AND TO THE GRAVE DO SUMMONS ALL

The latter is a most un-G. Mearsish inscription; perhaps it was on one of t=
he old bells. The other which Mears bought was by William Revel of London, =
c.1350 and bore:
W / + SCE : IOHES : BAPTISTA : ORA : PRO : ME
Kimber copied this inscription, so it is in his books at Whitechapel. A fur=
ther copy was made for Bixley, which used to hang at the west end of the ch=
urch - presumably it was destroyed in the fire.

The 3rd of the unringable six at St Lawrence, Norwich, and the single bell =
at Hassingham, Norfolk, are also by Revel. The latter church also went thro=
ugh a serious fire in the late sixties. The bell came down and appeared sou=
nd - but its tone was apparently ruined. In 1974, when I was DAC Adviser, I=
was consulted about it, and Sounweld not only did an exhaustive work of cr=
ack detection, but successfully repaired it. Perhaps the Bixley bell - now =
in safe storage - will=20
respond to similar treatment if needed.

DLC
Re: St Wandregesilius (Wandrille) he was a 7th-C Merovingian noble who beca=
me a monk and founded the Abbey at Fontenelle; his relics were later transl=
ated to Ghent, where he became the patron saint of the cloth trade

=20
----- Original Message -----=20