[Bell Historians] Bixley, Norfolk

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Sat Feb 19 01:49:32 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The 3rd of the unringable six at St Lawrence, Norwich, and the single bell =
at Hassingham, Norfolk, are also by Revel. The latter church also went thro=
ugh a serious fire in the late sixties. The bell came down and appeared sou=
nd - but its tone was apparently ruined. In 1974, when I was DAC Adviser, I=
was consulted about it, and Sounweld not only did an exhaustive work of cr=
ack detection, but successfully repaired it. Perhaps the Bixley bell - now =
in safe storage - will respond to similar treatment if needed.

Extensive repairs to a pre-Reformation bell is one thing, but where an unre=
markable Victorian bell is concerned surely it would never be worth the ine=
vitably high cost.