[Bell Historians] Bixley, Norfolk

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sat Feb 19 19:12:39 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

Clearly I should have pur "Perhaps" in capitals, substituted "would" for "w=
ill" and added "if appropriate". The latter might be considered very differ=
ently by a tiny congregation whose "unremarkable" bell may be the most sign=
ificant artefact to have survived this fire whether cracked or not. On the =
other hand, they may want it recast. With Soundweld's enhanced expertise th=
ere will be value for money if this is eventually what the parish want, if =
the church is rebuilt. Equally, there will be value for money if recasting =
is decided on.

The foregoing paragraph is written in response to what seemed to be - with =
respect - an example of "supererogatory zeal" on the part of its writer.

DLC :)=20=20=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Bryant=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Bixley, Norfolk

The 3rd of the unringable six at St Lawrence, Norwich, and the single bel=
l at Hassingham, Norfolk, are also by Revel. The latter church also went th=
rough a serious fire in the late sixties. The bell came down and appeared s=
ound - but its tone was apparently ruined. In 1974, when I was DAC Adviser,=
I was consulted about it, and Sounweld not only did an exhaustive work of =
crack detection, but successfully repaired it. Perhaps the Bixley bell - no=
w in safe storage - will respond to similar treatment if needed.
=20=20=20
Extensive repairs to a pre-Reformation bell is one thing, but where an un=
remarkable Victorian bell is concerned surely it would never be worth the i=
nevitably high cost.
=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20