[Bell Historians] Re: Bixley, Norfolk

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Thu Feb 24 00:56:28 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The publication in which the photographs which he has was "The Kent Messeng=
er"; they sent me the offprints.

For those who may be mystified, it is worth noting that there is a village =
in Kent called Burham, not far west of Rochester. The medieval church becam=
e pastorally redundant in 1881 when a new church was built in the village. =
The three bells (see the appropriate pages on http://kent.lovesguide.com ) =
were transferred, frame fittings and all to the new church. The latter deve=
loped serious structural faults and was demolished in 1981.=20

In November 1978 I prepared at the request of Rochester DAC a report on the=
three bells (the oldest of which had been rehung by WBF in 1973). I sugges=
ted that the whole lot be transferred back to the old church, by then in th=
e care of the then Redundant Churches Fund. My report was discussed by its =
officers (including Christopher Dalton) who decided that it was "not worth =
fighting for the 18th century Phelps bells" but would like the ancient bell=
and the frame returned to the old church. I put this scheme forward to the=
Diocese and also forewarned the KCACR.Eventually the Diocese agreed to sel=
l the ancient bell to the RCF, the treble to the KCA and the largest bell t=
o St Michael & All Angels Maidstone as a Service Bell.

The bells were lowered from the tower of the new church under Diocesan Auth=
ority on 1st March 1980. Present were RCO, myself, Sean Smith, David Joyce =
and Catherine Cullis of the RCF. Fr Paul Gibbons, Vicar of St Michael & All=
Angels Maidstone arrived in a transit, and first took the two smaller bell=
s, three clappers and an ancient font down to the old church, then returned=
and collected the largest bell for Maidstone.

The frame was left in the tower and was unfortunately destroyed during the =
demolition. The clock was purchased by G&J.

Delays at the RCF end were occasioned by the unavoidable length of time bet=
ween Trustees' meetings and by the several requirements of the architect, a=
gentleman well-known to Kent's bell advisers of the time. The Kent CA was =
concerned enough to require the treble to be removed to a safer place (the =
Vestry of St Nicholas, Dover). Richard has described the journey accurately=
enough, though I am sure that the clergy present uttered nothing stronger =
than "Good Heavens!" The work was done with the full authority of the Dioce=
se of Rochester and with the knowledge of the Diocese of Canterbury's bells=
adviser - Richard.

As Neil has given two dates - 11th July 1980 and 11th July 1981 for the dat=
e of his rubbing the inscription on the de Wymbis bell, when he states the =
other one wasn't present, I suggest that the removal as described by Richar=
d took place between them (or else he spent a year rubbing the inscription)=
! I don't have the date, but it was I think the autumn of 1981.

So we left the ancient bell on the ground on a place described to me by the=
Fund as "stronger than Fort Knox". Meanwhile the architect carried on a l=
eisurely correspondence with the Fund and the Foundry, all being set to han=
g it in April 1982. It was not to be, the bell being reported stolen on Mar=
ch 1st, and never having been recovered.

The happy end to the saga is that the Phelps bells did survive: the largest=
was duly hung as a service bell in St Michael's, Maidstone and the treble =
was finally hung at St Mildred, Preston-by-Wingham to augment to six the Ph=
elps ring of five there. The aforesaid Kent Messenger carried a further pic=
ture showing Richard and myself in a tight squeeze with the bell in the new=
treble pit. We did the job in one day in January 1983.

It was the third time the vestry had been home to a visitng bell. It receiv=
ed the 1701 bell from Ham, Sandwich in the summer of 1977; the visitor deci=
ded to stay, replacing a cracked Mears bell in the November. The following =
year the Llewellins & James bell from Christ Church Dover arrived, departin=
g later for recasting as the treble in ten at Ash, Sandwich.

So there you have it.

DLC=20

=20=20
----- Original Message -----=20