[Bell Historians] Woodchurch etc

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at y...
Fri Feb 25 20:18:11 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

 I think that the important thing with an EXACT weight is that it implies
that someone has actually put the bell on accurate set of scales and
recorded the weight properly. The weight is a reflection of what the bell
actually weighs, and not a guess/estimate/reputed weight. As Chris says, a
discrepancy of 4 pounds is not earth-shattering, but the fact that someone
at Whitechapel weighed the bell after tuning and found that it weighed
4-0-3, and yet it was subsequently recorded as 3-3-27, indicates that some
sort of transcription error has taken place, and it could have been more
significant.
Giles may call me a nit-picker, but to give another example: when I did
a survey of the Monmouth Diocese, I was always puzzled by the 9th at
Chepstow. Part of a ring of eight from the Evans foundry, Taylors told me it
weighed 14-2-8, which made it unusually thick for an Evans bell, at 42¾
inches in F-sharp. Its thickness constant was much greater than the rest of
the ring. I even suspected that it may have been recast quietly by Taylors
when they restored the bells in 1959, but a visual check showed that this
was not the case. Eventually, I was able to check the job book for myself,
and I was further puzzled by the figures: received at 13-1-4, sent off at
14-2-8. I showed this to Andrew Higson, remarking that that must have been
one hell of a resin pad! A check of other documents revealed a transcription
error: the finished weight was 12-2-8, which fits in with the
characteristics of the rest of the ring.
Perhaps something similar happened at Woodchurch. We will never know
whether this was just the slip of a pen, or a completely made-up/guessed
"exact" weight when the proper figures were not to hand.

Andrew Bull