[Bell Historians] Re: Woodchurch etc

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sun Feb 27 17:18:09 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

I think Chris's 'three points' deserve attention - though it doesn't solve =
the Woodchurch problem; and Chris Povey's point about undrilled bells going=
through the hands of non-founding bellhangers after supply is a valid one.

It is when you come to "weights supplied with bells" and here are three exa=
mples.

WHITSTABLE St Alphege Seasalter. On 1st August 1969 we took delivery from W=
hitechapel of a ring of six bells complete with a tower record showing the =
tenor as 3-1-13, the weight that has always been published. On August 19th =
the invoice was rendered (CB/33/69) which included=20
"-From metal provided from Tottington Church bells, casting a peal of six w=
ith the Tenor 2' 0" in diameter, weighing C 3.3.1 and a total weight of C =
12.0.11. All accurately and harmonically tuned in the key of 'G'. " =
=20
The total weight of the bells is that with the 3-1-13 tenor - was this a ty=
pist's error or what? I have not examined the settings or tuning records. A=
ll the other weights in the invoice - 15-1-17 of bells from Tottington, 12-=
2-17 for the existing church bell and 7-0-17 for the tubes - are all as wei=
ghed in. I did not query it then as the total weight charged for was as set=
with the 3-1-13 tenor.=20
Two archaic weights - 3-2-25 (1969: 3-2-5) for Tottington treble (JT 1851) =
and 12-2-23 for the existing bell are xplained by more accurate modern scal=
es.

Next one is G&J. We have already discussed St Nicholas Leicester (Tower rec=
ord 22.0.14; tuning books 22.0.0.; invoiced weight 22.0.14). But go to Tunb=
ridge Wells, St Luke on http://kent.lovesguide.com and see the significant =
discrepancies in each bell between what is in the tuning books in Croydon l=
ibrary and what is in the framed record in the tower. It would be interesti=
ng to compare the exactly contemporary tower record of the bells of almost =
identical size with the tuning records at Croydon.

As to JT&Co, Chris Povey pointed out the 'pencilling in' of the Evesham rec=
ord. Other examples have been identified. An interesting one is the ex-Bish=
op Latimer ring now at Perry Barr. The bells were cast in 1957 (5th in 1904=
) and were received back in 1972. The weights recorded for the front six sh=
ow "Woodchurch" type discrepancies:

Sent Off Nett=20
1957 1972

4-0-6 4-0-7
4-0-26 4-0-25
4-2-7 4-2-7
5-0-3 5-0-1
6-0-14 6-0-11
7-1-16 7-1-13
- 10-0-12
- 13-3-22#
=20=20
# Note says 'given later as 14-0-8'

CJP and I met at the Johnson on Saturday evening and I suggested that we mi=
ght test the accuracy of WBF/JT scales by sitting on each and seeing which =
side went down furthest in each case!

DLC

=20
=20