[Bell Historians] Re: Woodchurch etc

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at y...
Sun Feb 27 18:38:07 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

The discrepancies with some of the Taylor weights are for different reasons,
and it is to Andrew Higson's great credit that he not only generously allows
access to Taylor's business archives for serious research, but also bravely
permits the correct details to be published. Worcester Cathedral tenor is a
case in point. Many members of this list might have noticed that, while some
details may be missing from recent bell surveys, concise and correct details
are now invariably given for Taylor jobs, and this reflects much credit on
John Taylor & Co as a company.

The differences in weights given for Gillett jobs between the tuning books
and the tower notice is a well-known phenomenon, and I believe that someone
has compiled a list. I have never seen an explanation for this, however.

Chris Pickford's point about "exact" weights may be demonstrated in
instances where it is possible to compare "as supplied" weights with
"scrapping" weights. To give two examples, both weighed by Taylors:

Worsley, Lancs

Retuned 1912 Scrapped 1935

1. 6-1-27 6-1-18
2. 6-3-25 6-3-16
3. 6-1- 4 6-0-18
4. 6-2-21 6-2-10
5. 9-0- 7 8-3-16
6. 11-1- 8 11-0-21
7. 13-3- 4 13-2-17
8. 21-0-14 20-3-11

Walton-on-the-Hill, Lancs

Retuned 1900 Scrapped 1953

1. 4-0-25 4-0-21
2. 4-0-22 4-0-23
3. 4-1- 1 4-1- 1
4. 4-1-21 4-1-21
5. 6-0-21 6-0-16
6. 8-1- 2 8-1-16

Which would be regarded as "correct" as the weights of the old ring? In my
county "lists" that can be found elsewhere on Bell Historians, I try to give
details of the ring which preceded a "modern" ring. Where available, I give
the scrapping weights, but instances such as the above present something of
a dilemma.

Andrew Bull