[nabbers] Re: Ullenhall [was East Bergholt conumdram]

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Tue Jan 4 15:59:06 GMT 2005

To answer the question properly, yes the bell in the Old Chancel was rehung
for lever swing chiming fairly recently - within the last two years; I think
by HMA.

The very ancient bell (the oldest in Birmingham Diocese) also formerly at
Ullenhall Old Church went for swing chiming at Emmanuel, Sparkhill,
Birmingham. This was closed c1990 and the bell transferred to the vestry of
St John, Sparkhill where it was stored until a couple of years ago.
Whitechapel have now hung it dead for electrical chiming in the tower of St
John's.

Nothing to Nab here, so I am copying this to bellhistorians who may like to
know that it is 19 3/4" diameter, 16 1/2" lip to shoulder, headmould 7"
diameter, lip flat, 1" across (not skirted); canons 3 1/2" - intact,
channelled section; argent c.5 1/2" high. No inscription. Wires 1: 1: 1-1:
3-2. early C13th.

Happy New Year to all

DLC (David Cawley)

The very ancient bell