[Bell Historians] Oldbury, West Midlands (was Monkton, Devon)

Andrew Bull andrew.bull at t...
Wed Jan 19 09:26:26 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

I believe that the bells were ringable before the conversion took place. I
was working in the Birmingham area in 1990, and A. J. Barnfield boasted with
some pride that he had rung there; apparently there was a try-out in the
mid-1980s.

Andrew Bull

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Marshall [mailto:paul&jean at p...]
Sent: 18 January 2005 18:56
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Oldbury, West Midlands (was Monkton, Devon)

Does anyone know the fate of the bells of Christ Church, Oldbury West
Midlands (10.5 cwt)? The church is still in use (as a church), but the
tower is let out to various companies as offices. As far as I know the
bells are still in the tower, but a concrete floor has been installed
directly beneath them. It is very unlikely that they will ever be rung
again (at least in that tower).

It is one of the rings that is claimed by both the Worcestershire
Association (It is the only unringable tower in the Northern Branch of
that Association) and the St Martin's Guild.

I heard a rumour that the St Martin's Guild had looked into recovering
them.

Paul Marshall