[Bell Historians] Oldbury, West Midlands (was Monkton, Devon)

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Wed Jan 19 00:54:54 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

At the risk of repeating what may have been on site before:

The very large former nave has been converted to offices.

The chancel remains the Parish Church of Oldbury.

The tower has been cleared of all wooden floors below the bells and cocrete=
stairs, landings and a solid concrete floor (with access hatch) placed ben=
eath the bells.

The Warner eight, put on ball bearings by Mears between the wars remains ha=
nging in a two tier frame, 4 above 4. They are only a few feet above the co=
ncrete floor. The fittings are intact but elderly. There is an Ellacombe an=
d the usual clock hammers. None of these are operational. The bells and the=
ir equipment remain the property of the church and are subject to Faculty J=
urisdiction.

I understand that the St Martin's Guild keeps an eye on the situation.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20