[Bell Historians] Taylors and timber headstocks

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Tue Jan 25 11:06:55 GMT 2005

>St Johns Cardiff are an 1893 "top and tail" Taylor augmentation to 10.
>Wooden headstocks (until 1999) and H/A Frames on timber grillages.

Yes, steel grillages came in in 1893 or 94 I think, and timber stocks seem
to more or less disappear from Taylor work by 1894.

>From 1894 or 95 onwards, their jobs became 'modern' in the sense that they
vary very little from what would be installed today. The ring of four
supplied to Stockton on Forest in 1895 were fully modern - flat-top bells,
cast iron headstocks, cast iron H frame on steel grillage, Hastings stays,
plain bearings with Heywood lubricators, etc.