[Bell Historians] Taylors and timber headstocks

Andrew Higson, Bellmaster andrew_higson at t...
Tue Jan 25 14:52:30 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

Only those two bells came in and no detail of any other fittings, so I woul=
d say that they were older.

WRT the all metal frame/fittings, that's harder to identify - I will have t=
o leave that one to the skills of the eminent historians who frequent my re=
cords!

Andrew
----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Bryant=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Taylors and timber headstocks

>David is 2 years out at Nynehead, actually 1894. It was 3 & 4 of 5 that=
=20
>were fitted with CI stocks. The work was completed on Nov 3rd 1894. I ca=
n't=20
>find a reference to Nynehead in the iron casting books, so it is possibl=
e=20
>they were intended for another job which might explain why they are=20
>mis-numbered.

Ah well, I can't be right all the time! The danger of working from memory=
,=20
but as my notes are in Taunton I think I can be forgiven. Were the timber=
=20
stocks on the other bells provided then, or just the iron ones?

>The first specific reference to cast iron headstocks for ringing bells w=
as=20
>on 1st March 1893, these being the three headstocks for Egmanton in Nott=
s=20
>(Wake up George!).

In a timber frame, I believe. Where was the first place where an entirely=
=20
metal frame and metal headstocks were used together?

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20