[Bell Historians] Taylors and timber headstocks

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Tue Jan 25 14:40:43 GMT 2005

>David is 2 years out at Nynehead, actually 1894. It was 3 & 4 of 5 that
>were fitted with CI stocks. The work was completed on Nov 3rd 1894. I can't
>find a reference to Nynehead in the iron casting books, so it is possible
>they were intended for another job which might explain why they are
>mis-numbered.

Ah well, I can't be right all the time! The danger of working from memory,
but as my notes are in Taunton I think I can be forgiven. Were the timber
stocks on the other bells provided then, or just the iron ones?

>The first specific reference to cast iron headstocks for ringing bells was
>on 1st March 1893, these being the three headstocks for Egmanton in Notts
>(Wake up George!).

In a timber frame, I believe. Where was the first place where an entirely
metal frame and metal headstocks were used together?