[Bell Historians] Taylors and timber headstocks

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Wed Jan 26 14:45:09 GMT 2005

>Peter also confimed that in 1894, Worcester Cathedral tenor (cast1869,
>50cwt) was rehung with a CI headstock. That headstock (and the wheel) were
>re-used when the bells were recast in 1928 (tenor now 48cwt). It was
>possibly the biggest CI stock that Taylor's had made at the time.

I believe (and I'm sure Andrew will correct me if I'm wrong) that Taylor's
largest pattern for cast iron ringing headstocks is that used for the tenors
at York Minster and St Paul's. The tenor at Exeter was hung on a riveted
steel stock in 1902. I assume that the largest pattern for a slow-swinging
stock is that used for Great Peter.

Incidentally, are there known scrapping weights for the old ring at
Worcester Cathedral?