[Bell Historians] Mold

Richard Offen richard at ...
Fri Jul 8 21:17:50 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Marshall"
<davidjmarshall at b...> wrote:

> "Can Eijsbouts now predict to the pound the weight of a newly cast and
> tuned bell, or have they been cast already?!" -
>
> The answer to your question is "no, not to the pound". The weight
given is
> the specification; I will expect to receive a bell within a few
pounds of
> the specified weight. They will also give me, before casting, the
location
> of the c of g and the moment of inertia.
> Why do you find this report amusing?
> D.J.Marshall
> TES (Co.)

It's the fact that they quoted the weights prior to casting to the
pound, as if the weight was guaranteed - one would normally expect
something like, "the bell will be approximately 3 1/2 cwts".

Assuming that they will use one of their standard gauges, why is it
surprising that the foundry can give the c of g and moment of inertia
prior to casting? I would have thought that it was pretty easy to
predict these!