[Bell Historians] Mold

David Marshall davidjmarshall at ...
Sat Jul 9 09:28:16 BST 2005

"It's the fact that they quoted the weights prior to casting to the
pound, as if the weight was guaranteed - one would normally expect
something like, "the bell will be approximately 3 1/2 cwts".

Assuming that they will use one of their standard gauges, why is it
surprising that the foundry can give the c of g and moment of inertia
prior to casting? I would have thought that it was pretty easy to
predict these!

R"

I don't know who published the weight, but obviously it was misleading to
give it to the pound before casting. Regarding "standard gauges" - they
don't use them for bells which we specify - they make new each time. Their
software generates the profile to our specn and also calculate several
parameters including weight , c of g and m of i, so yes, it's easy to
predict, but not for the reason that they are using standaed gauges.
DJM (TESco)