Khartoum

Carl S. Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Thu Jul 14 06:24:15 BST 2005

In a letter to the Editor of The Ringing World in 1989 (18 Aug,
p.768), a correspondent mentioned that during World War II he heard
changes from the tower of the cathedral in Khartoum, Sudan (formerly
southern Egypt). I have not seen any further correspondence to
clarify that mention, so I am asking this august body for any
information that you might have.

A Web search reveals that All Saints Anglican Cathedral in Khartoum
was built in 1904-12 near the presidential palace. In 1971, the
Government of Sudan confiscated the cathedral building, forcing the
Anglicans to move elsewhere. (They built a new and much smaller
building in 1979.) The Government tore down the bell tower,
presumably destroying or scrapping any bells which it might have
contained; but the present-day Anglicans of Khartoum do not seem to
know exactly what happened to them.

Does anyone know how many bells there were, or who made them, or
when? It seems a reasonable initial guess that they were cast during
the period of time when the old cathedral was under construction, so
that might be a good starting point for a search of available foundry
records.

Incidentally, the GCNA Website now has pages for the carillons,
chimes and rings of Africa and the Mideast which are known to me (8
bells or more, plus the three 6-bell rings). I welcome all
constructive criticism and suggestions (off-list, please).

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman Co-Webmaster: http://www.gcna.org/
Voicemail: +1-314-821-8437 (home) mailto:csz_stl at ...