[Bell Historians] Thornhill

Andrew Aspland aaspland at ...
Thu Jun 2 09:01:18 BST 2005

>I've had an enquiry regarding the history of the bells at Thornhill which I
>was able to answer from our records, but a question arose from that which I
>don't know the answer to.

The six bells at Thornhill were the original six from St Mary Mirfield
before the new church was built and the distinctive ten installed -
transferred in 1871. Before this Thornhill had three seventeenth century
bells the treble of which went to Middlestown before in turn going into the
St Wilfrid's Harrogate melting pot.

Thornhill must have one of the best transfer lists of any tower.

Andrew