[Bell Historians] Pitches of bells

Andrew Higson andrew_higson at ...
Mon Jun 13 11:46:31 BST 2005

That's all wrong!

Ever tried playing anything in G flat? As a key signature it is somewhere
you only get by transposition during a piece from, er, er, well another key
anyway.

C, D, E, F, G, A and B are fine

C# and D flat - either way 7#s or 5 flats

E flat is fine D# messy 3 flats and loads of sharps

F# fine G flat very messy 6 sharps and ...

A flat is fine G# is messy 4 flats and 7 sharps

B flat is fine A# is messy 2 flats and lots of sharps

Well in my opinion anyway. Musicians would in general try to put the key in
the fewest accidentals and where we have a fixed pitch instrument that
doesn't change key, stick with what is simplest.

It might be that the note of the tenor was considered out of context in
which case G flat is still odd.

I have always categorised a note from -50 cents through to +50 cents by the
same name, in this case F#. Sorry, Dickon, but changing half way through
doesn't work for me!

Andrew