[Bell Historians] G flat major

Andrew Higson andrew_higson at ...
Mon Jun 13 14:13:16 BST 2005

I thought Scriabin was a sort of beetle - especially with the Egyptologist
reference!

Nigel's right, of course. If other temperaments are used the F#/G flat
distinction is important. I had the pleasure of playing an organ once that
had double sharp keys - one for F# and one for G flat, boy, did I get
confused! This is probably lost on the "if it goes round and goes clunk,
I'll ring it" brigade though.

Although it still grates with me, it does the essential whichever note is
used, that is to give some idea what note is being listened to.

Andrew

(psst, Nigel - we could market both f#s and g flats as essential and boost
bell sales!)