[Bell Historians] Pitches of bells

Dickon Love dickon.love at ...
Mon Jun 13 14:35:43 BST 2005

DLB said:

> In some cases, notes tend not to be
> used - it is rare to find bells described as being in B#, E# or
Gb, for
> example, so C, F and F# respectively will almost always be used in
these
> cases.
>
> With regard to the point about how the other notes are described,
I think
> that they have to be described to be consistent with the note
given for the
> tenor - e.g. C#, Eb, F, Gb, G#, A#, C, C# would be inconsistent
and messy.

David - you have contradicted yourself. I agree that B# would never
be identified as the pitch of the tonic, but there are certain key
signatures which use B# rather than C higher in the scale, so it
would be entirely appropriate to use that.

A bells in a ring (these days) are put together to be consistent
with one another and form an instrument in their own right.
Therefore convention dictates the use of Fx, B#, etc on occasions.
Sometimes the bells are just put together as a random collection (I
rang a quarter on one such set of 3 on Saturday!) in which case this
does not apply and absolute pitches are best used.

As I said earlier, I would never use Cb, B#, E#, Fb or any double
sharps/double flats to describe the key of a ring (or any bell that
is not in a scale). But it is fair game to include them in
describing the resultant scale (as has been done at Brasted).

I am grateful to the responses from our current (and ex) bell tuners.

DrL

P.S.

Andrew Higson said:
"(psst, Nigel - we could market both f#s and g flats as essential
and boost bell sales!)"

Well Andrew, every little helps, as Prunella Scales would say... :)