[Bell Historians] Re: Bell pitches

Richard Offen richard at ...
Tue Jun 14 17:00:53 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Higson"
<andrew_higson at t...> wrote:
> If he is ringing at Perth still, he will be well acquainted with
elasticity.
> The pitch shift of the tenor due to the tower movement is enough to
> transpose the bells from G at handstroke to F## at backstroke.
>
> ADH

Certainly am! I've just had my Tuesday evening fix of the ringing
equivalent of a white knuckle ride!

St George's Cathedral bells are the only ring I know that can
demonstrate a double Doppler effect: one from the bells turning full
circle and the other from the tower sway.

It's getting to the stage where you need to take sea sickness tablets
before ringing there!