[Bell Historians] Re: alternative to bells

Mike Chester mike at ...
Thu Jun 16 10:38:41 BST 2005

> It's very much frowned upon in Salisbury Diocese, but I'm not sure if
it's
> illegal. I think Wootton Rivers used a recording for a time, but
they do
> now have proper bells.

I think that Burley-in-Wharfedale has a system that plays a recording
of, IIRC, Redcliffe from their small tower. (I went there 20-odd years
ago because the TC of Burley in Leeds happened to live in B-in-W and
2+2 = a journey of about 20 miles extra to that required!)

Meriden, whose bells' ringability is a bit suspect, recorded our peal
there in 1995 and used to broadcast part of it on Sundays. The
speakers are certainly still in the belfry

Mike