[Bell Historians] Re: alternative to bells

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu Jun 16 13:15:29 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Higson"
<andrew_higson at t...> wrote:
> I can confirm that Smiths do electronic chimes.
>
> We have a shopping centre in Loughborough called the Carillon
Centre (Any
> Aussies on the list, please note there is no i after the double ll!)

[I know, I grind my teeth every time I hear them saying it! They
have also started calling a carillon player a "carillionist" ...yuk!]

>which
> has a clock with a turret and one of our bells in it (about 16") to
strike
> the hours. The quarters and the tunes that play after the hour
(Polly put
> the kettle on and other musical masterpieces)are artificial.

[And dreadful it sounds too!]

> Typical of Charnwood Borough Council not to ask their indigenous
bellfounder
> if they could supply real bells!

[They probably thought they couldn't afford real bells!]