[Bell Historians] Re: alternative to bells

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu Jun 16 14:02:34 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> >Is there still an 'icecream machine' sounding forth from St Bride's
> >Fleet Street?
>
> You mean a 'Compton Carillon' - at last, I think that's what the
thing at St
> Bride's is called.
>
> David

Probably.

The organ in St Bride's was built by Compton, who often fitted their
theatre organs (Oh gawd, haven't we been here before?!) with the
patent 'Compton Electrone' device, which synthesised certain organ
sounds - presumably they thought they could produce bell tones with a
similar bit of electronics!