[Bell Historians] Re: alternative to bells

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu Jun 16 16:46:40 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Richard Smith <richard at e...>
wrote:
> Richard Offen wrote:
>
> > They were composed by William Crotch in 1793
>
> Is this actually known to be true? On the Cambridge Youths'
> webpage, which I believe reflects what is in Mark Ockleton's
> published history of the bells at Great St Mary's, it says,
>
> | In 1793, a new clock by Thwaites of London was installed,
> | and Revd Dr Joseph Jowett, Regius Professor of Civil Law,
> | was asked to compose a suitable chime. We shall never
> | know whether the result was his own invention; there is a
> | long, but almost wholly unsubstantiated, tradition that he
> | received assistance either from Dr Randall, the Professor
> | of Music, or from his brilliant undergraduate pupil,
> | William Crotch (1775-1847).
>
> http://www.ely.anglican.org/parishes/camgsm/bells/chimes.htm
>
> Richard

It's the sort of information that's normally only useful for pub
quizzes and e-lists like this one!

I think that I first gleaned the fact from H.B. Walter's 'Church
Bells of England', or it might have been Raven, but as to the
provenance of the information published therein, I know not!