Urchfont

Anne Willis zen16073 at z...
Mon Mar 7 13:56:10 GMT 2005

charset="us-ascii"

I've just been looking at the Salisbury DG website, and there's a fair
amount of bell detail on there:

http://www.sdgr.org.uk/

David

Thanks. I will forward the above to those doing the hard work. It's nice
to have it appreciated.

Found out an interesting thing about Urchfont, which Walters thought might
be a very old 8 on par with Bishops Cannings. According to an 1899
newspaper cutting there were 6 bells until the two bells from nearby Stert
were added; an ancient treble and a Purdue of 1664. Subsequent research
seems to confirm this: the work seems to have been done around 1803-5 and
the current bell at Stert is a Wells bell of 1804. The churchwardens'
return for the1662 Bishop's Visitation to Stert gives Edward Lyne (sic) and
Robert Dorchester as the churchwardens, the same as on the 1664 bell. There
is also a section that says 'Moreover we present the inhabitants there
[Stert] for not newe casting the seconde bell which is slatten [cracked].
In smaller writing is a note 'to be cast by midsommer next.' Given the
large number of bells that the Purdues cast for Wiltshire around this time,
it's no wonder they had to wait two years for a new bell.

Anne Willis