Leake, Nth Yorks

Mike Chester mike at m...
Mon Mar 7 23:24:59 GMT 2005

I've passed this church at 70mph or so dozens of times! I've always
thought that this church was obviously Norman in origin and worth a
visit. However, inevitably, I have never got round to it.

I've found an interesting website at

http://www.thirsk.org.uk/knayton/stmaryl1.html

Which says

The tower contains 3 bells, one* of which has an interesting history.
The men of Leake seem to have been successful snappers-up of
unconsidered trifles of the Dissolution and this bell snatched from
Henry VIII's melting pot was no mean acquisition. it has the
legend "O PATER AELRED GRENDALE MISERERE" which may be translated "O
Father Aelred pray for the sinners of Grendale".* Aelred was the
third abbot of Rievaulx, 1147-67, not many miles away. Grendale was
another Cistercian house a few miles south of Loftus, the site now
known as Handale. Two possibilities suggest themselves. The first is
that the bell was at Rievaulx at the time of the Dissolution and was
the gift of the nuns (Grendale) to Rievaulx; the second is that the
bell came from Grendale itself. Whichever is correct - and we shall
never know - the bell remains a fascinating link with medieval times
and is stated by Aelred's biographer to be the only medieval
invocation of Aelred's prayers that he has ever found.

*JOHANNIS pe STASSORD (Stafford) the bellfounder worked 1338-1371, so
this bell must date to his working life.

Can anyone fill me in on the details? I assume that the bells
are/have always been for chiming.

Mike