[Bell Historians] Re: Whitelackington - Somerset

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Sat Mar 19 16:55:16 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

Does anyone have any information these bells and frame please. I had a look=
up there earlier this afternoon , and the installation was fascinating . B=
ells 3 and the tenor are Taylor recasts in 1896 ( or possibly 1898 ). I kno=
w that they were last rung in the early 1980's . Fine tower - room for ten =
!.

Andrew Bull and I are compiling a Somerset bells list, but I don't appear t=
o have any details of these. Andrew has been through the Taylor records, so=
I'm surprised that if it is a Taylor job we don't have details. Who are th=
e frame / fittings by? If it was a local bellhanger (i.e. probably Thomas D=
oble of Taunton) that might account for us not having the details. Doble di=
d obtain his bells from Taylor's generally, and his frame castings I suspec=
t - these have his name on but are identical to Taylor ones. The frames are=
usually composite. Perhaps CJND can comment further on Doble's frames.