[Bell Historians] St Sidwell, Exeter

David Bryant davidbryant at h...
Mon Mar 21 21:44:13 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

Just to add to what David Cawley said, Taylors rehung the bell in the steel=
tower in about 1968. The work was ordered in December 1966, but there's a =
note in the job book "1968 not yet sent off". The bell was Pack & Chapman 1=
773, 48.125" 16-0-25 as sent out.

I've a feeling that it's gone now the church is no longer in use, but can't=
be sure

I'm pretty sure it was still there when I last went to visit my sister in E=
xeter, which was in late November. It was the weekend of the Crediton dedic=
ation, at which I saw Chris.

I'll have another look next time I'm on Exeter. It's difficult to see much =
of the bell as it's quite high up and the framework is in the way.

The chapel formed out of part of the church is still in use. It's a joint p=
arish with St Mark's (nice Taylor eight soon to be ten), and St Matthew's (=
rather fine Victorian church with unfinished tower containing one bell hung=
for ringing).