[Bell Historians] St Sidwell, Exeter

Neil Skelton neil.tcct at v...
Mon Mar 21 22:47:51 GMT 2005

charset="iso-8859-1"

Back eight at St Sidwell's by Pack & Chapman 1773. Two trebles added in 189=
1 by Mears & Stainbank. Jerram gave the tenor as measuring 51.5 inches diam=
eter. He recorded the inscriptions on all ten bells. Indeed, he seems to ha=
ve recorded in detail most of the Exeter bells. His ms, of which I have a c=
opy, is undated but is c.1902.

Of Charles Church, Plymouth he records a tablet on the outside of the tower=
which states or stated that the old peal of six bells was cast in London a=
nd delivered to plymouth in 1709 at the sole charge of Joseph Tovey of Lond=
on; a native of Plymouth. The weights were given. Did this tablet survive t=
he bombing? Jerram records the inscription on the eighth as: CHARLES MEARS =
OF LONDON FECIT. (no date!). Interesting that he gives the diameter of the =
C&G Mears tenor as 48 inches!

Does anyone know the provenance of the bell on the floor of St Petrock's Ex=
eter? All that I could make out in the semi darkness was: IOHN HARRIS OF H=
AIN BART KNIGHT OF THE BATH. 1740.=20

Neil Skelton.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: CHRIS PICKFORD=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] St Sidwell, Exeter

Just to add to what David Cawley said, Taylors rehung the bell in the ste=
el tower in about 1968. The work was ordered in December 1966, but there's =
a note in the job book "1968 not yet sent off". The bell was Pack & Chapman=
1773, 48.125" 16-0-25 as sent out.
=20=20=20
I've a feeling that it's gone now the church is no longer in use, but can=
't be sure
=20=20=20
CP

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20