Philip Jakeman, R.I.P.

Richard Offen richard at ...
Tue May 24 13:23:12 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dave at d...>
wrote:
> I learned of the death of Phil appropriately enough from John Legg,
the present Ringing Master at St Alphege, Whitstable. I spoke with
Stephen on Saturday.

> Now is not the place for obituaries, nor really is a website. I
taught Phil to ring, together with his sons, Stephen, Simon and
Andrew with the enthusiastic encouragment of his wife, Doreen, to
whom he was devoted.

> Phil, as has been said, was formerly a farmer, with his identical
twin brother Paul, and their younger brother, whose early death
turned them away from farming. He asked me what I thought Mr Hughes'
reaction might be to an application for work as a bellhanger, my
reply being that there was only one way to find out. I do not think
that Whitechapel ever regretted the ensuing appointment. He was an
excellent bellhanger, presiding (unforgettably in the case of the
removal of Great Dunstan) at the great restoration at Canterbury
Cathedral, and his workmanship rings round the world. He was a worthy
ambassador for Whitechapel - and for the Exercise generally. He was a
loyal churchman - my father always hoped that he would succeed him as
churchwarden at St Alphege, but bells intervened. Above all he was a
loving and loyal husband, brother, father and friend.

> Members of the list will no doubt have seen and sampled his work,
many will have met him. Please remember him and his family at this
time.

> David Cawley

David has summed up all that I would have wanted to say about my dear
friend Phil Jakeman. He was a remarkable character and I will
cherish many very happy memories of him and his wicked sense of
humour.

May he rest in peace.

Richard