A trawl through the archive

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu May 26 15:47:19 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Giles Blundell"
<GRBlundell at a...> wrote:
> From: "David Bryant"
>
> But there is necessarily a limit to how much bell history the
RW can publish. It doesn't allow for the publication of long articles
is the way that a journal does. Perhaps the internet is the answer -
it is certainly widely used for publishing bell history research.

> - if you have a long article, I can think of 2 solutions that might
make it palatable to the RW:

> 1. Publish it in parts.
> 2. Publish a summary, pointing those who may be interested in the
direction of how to get the full text. (I deliberately say summary
rather than abstract - abstracts do tend to the obscure, and if you
want a general audience to read the item and be enlightened then what
is published needs to appeal to them.)

Can I add a third point to your list please:

3. Make it interesting.

Whatever David says, people DO like history as long as it is
approachable, relevant and informative. Like any subject, history
is as dull as ditch water if presented in a dull way!

I work in an industry that is about delivering history in a palatable
way to the general public. Some places manage to get it right and
get an enthusiastic response from their audience others don't and get
low visitor figures and few return visits.

When in New Zealand earlier this year I visited a museum that was
devoted to the history of the use of one indigenous species of
timber. It had the potential to be one of the most boring places on
earth, but, because of slick presentation, very carefully chosen
words and continual reference back to things that ordinary people
understand, it turned out to be one of the most enlightening and
entertaining couple of hours I've spent in a long time.

Make bell history articles like that and you've got a winner!