[Bell Historians] Re: A trawl through the archive

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Mon May 30 17:12:04 BST 2005

At 11:55 +0100 2005/05/30, David Bryant wrote:
>p.s. another journal which publishes reports on foundries, etc, is
>the journal of Historical Metallurgy.

Last week I received a page torn out of the March 2005 issue of
"Modern Casting", a publication of the American Foundry Society
(previously unknown to me). Entitled "Lights, Camera, Metalcasting",
the article describes how the Verdin Company's mobile bellfoundry was
the subject of a complete episode of "Monster Nation", a TV show.
Verdin (http://www.verdin.com) developed the mobile foundry in 2002
for a project to cast a bell in each of the 88 counties of the state
of Ohio, as part of that state's bicentennial celebrations. One of
the accompanying photos is the best I've seen anywhere of what the
whole rig looks like when set up for action.

The page was sent to me by a man who was in the audience when I gave
a lecture on riverboat bells more than four years ago, to members and
friends of a local museum dedicated to the Mississippi River,
steamboats, et al. "Connections, connections!" as James Burke might
say.

Carl