[Bell Historians] Canon removal and faculties

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu Nov 3 01:55:18 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:

> The fabricated steel hoop type canon retainers now produced by WBF
and several other firms, seem to be the best so far for mixing
with standard stocks. These are made bespoke to suit each individual
bell - where as cast iron canon retainers are generally "Lets see
which standard size fits best".

> [I have to confess that I have a dislike of all steel headstocks,
apart from on very small bells. They are far more prone to corrosion
than cast iron ones, and if corrosion reaches a critical level there
is the potential for the headstocks to break. I don't suppose they
have been in general use for long enough yet for this problem to have
surfaced to any extent, but I can well imagine that in 100 or so
years' time, after having been neglected for decades (as so often
happens) the stocks will be beyond reuse. Cast iron stocks, on the
other hand, are likely to be fine - as is proven by those now over
100 years old and still in excellent condition.]

Certainly the WBF steel headstocks, and probably those by other
manufacturers as well, are all galvanized as standard, which
completely alleviates the problems of corrosion.

I certainly agree with you about G & J canon retaining stocks - the
fourth at Great Ness, Shropshire (G & J 1933 'pot' stock) is the
hardest bell I know to get up right side!