[Bell Historians] Link

Richard Offen richard at ...
Wed Nov 23 23:12:09 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at a... wrote:

> Sorry I disagree on this one! The defenition of a bell is as
follows:

> 1 a deep inverted metal cup that sounds a clear musical note when
struck.

> I think this defenition got all those Liss Campanile Peals thrown
out -
> because the bells were not made of metal.
>
> I have known about the Ausbel guys for some years - and I find
their work is
> very interesting indeed. The real challenge is still to be
accomplished
> though - how do you make a small bell sound like a big one? I am
sure it's
> possible.
>
> (A very tired) Matthew

What I find more interesting with the bells cast in Victoria is the
high-tech manner of manufacture and mass replication of tuned bells
using CNC lathes etc ...applied to British bell founding, I fear it
would put Messrs Higson and Taylor out of a job pretty quickly,
which, in my opinion, would be a very bad thing!

Thank goodness for individuality!