[Bell Historians] Re: Shrewsbury Abbey

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu Oct 27 03:58:28 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Susan & Christopher Dalton"
<dalton.family at v...> wrote:

> > Thanks, Chris. I assume they must have been rung from the ground
floor, as
> > there only appears to be one floor in the tower, because the west
window is
> > so big - unless there was a gallery, but it was a number of years
ago that
> > I was in the church and I can't remember whether there were any
signs of
> > there having been one.
> >
> I seem to think there was an intermediate floor which was taken out
> reveal the west end of the church and that huge window..
>
> The bells were hung dead in the present (non-ringing) frame by
Greenleaf &
> Tristram of Hereford and I have seen them (the bells, not G & T)
but don't
> have an exact date and would like one.
>
> C D

Thanks to both Christophers for correcting my, these days, very
unreliable memory (I'm writing this, as usual, from the other side of
the world to my notes!).

Mr Glover does indeed subscribe to this list, but usual decides to
keep quiet and, in his own words, "let the 'experts' do all the
chatting!" As CD says, Alan has done very extensive research into
all the towers in Shrewsbury and, if he can be drawn out of his shell
for once, would be able to tell us chapter and verse about both Holy
Cross Abbey and St Michael's.

Hopefully, if nothing else, this correspondence will have stopped
errant tower grabbers from making a nuisance of themselves to the
Abbey authorities. Some of the letters I've seen recently from
certain of their number, trying to get various `rare' towers have
been quite puke-making in their boastful content!

Richard